ConnectHomeKC is a project designed to put one computer with broadband access in every Public Housing residence in Kansas City, Missouri. The Department of Housing and Urban Development and the Obama Administration launched ConnectHome to accelerate broadband adoption by children and families living in HUD-assisted housing across the nation. Kansas City is piloting the program.
The Goals of the HUD Program are:
- Make broadband Internet more accessible by building new models to provide broadband infrastructure and to offer residents free or discounted service.
- Make broadband Internet more valuable by giving residents localized, free, and culturally sensitive training in essential digital literacy skills that will allow them to effectively utilize high-speed Internet.
- Make broadband Internet accessibility sustainable by providing devices and technical support to our residents and by refocusing existing HUD resources to supplement and sustain the work of ConnectHome.
Broadband access is of little value without a computer. The City of Kansas City, Missouri has partnered with Surplus Exchange to provide 1900 computers for the program. The City will donate retired IT to Surplus Exchange. Surplus Exchange, a Certified e-Steward, will refurbish computers to add to the program. Surplus Exchange has agreed to provide job training for young people from the targeted communities in cooperation with the Full Employment Council. The citizens targeted to benefit from the program will do some of the work.
- Computers systems. The program will use Core2duo and new machines, but any computer would be helpful. Obtaining 1900 machines from one source is not realistic.
- Funding. We have a funding gap of $25 per machine. Every donation toward the program will help. $25 will put a computer in the hands of a young student.
- SPEED! The report date to HUD is July 2016. We want Kansas City to gain national recognition for this effort. We have a small window in time to implement this program. Surplus Exchange is up to the challenge, but we need your help to make this happen. You can make a difference.